Sunday, August 14, 2016

Feelings from Music



  Rhythm, lyrics, and drums combined are what we call music. Music can remind you of an important event in the past or make you sleepy, relaxed, even emotional or sad. There are a lot of kinds of music such as rap, Blues, Reggae, pop etc. Each of those types of music provides specific feelings. Talking about music reminds me of Senegal, back home. Senegal is one of the countries in West Africa that is known for their good music and their passion for dancing. The most popular music is mbalax. It is very loud, intense, rhythmic, happy, and makes you move easily. Listening to mbalax makes you feel enthusiastic. It makes me stress free. Moving your body with the beat of the music makes you happy.

Music has a lot of meanings too. Playing with kids, singing and dancing with them was my favorite thing to do in Senegal. Music reminds me of time with my nieces and nephews. Religious music in my experiences provides a spiritual feeling. Some people get very emotional. Others get very excited and dance continually to express their faith. I cannot forget when I went to Mauritania for a religious ceremony named Eid Al-Fitr. There were songs, drums, noises, singing the name of God every night. It was amazing to listen to those sounds coming from everywhere in the desert with thousands of people singing and dancing to relieve their stress, and to implore forgiveness from God. Some religious scholars think some music is evil and others are for God. Music can sometimes be a way to repent.

 When I was in university I always slept with Bob Marley songs on. Reggae makes me relaxed and pensive. It makes me nostalgic. Some other music like choral makes me feel energized. It gives you the strength to aim for success.

 Some folks describe some music with the melody, instruments, and different voices, and how the music keeps you awake and engaged. Blues music inspires sadness, loneliness or love. It makes me think about a love story of a woman who lost her husband in a war and has raised two kids. Consequently, music can be seen in a lot of different aspects.  Feelings from music are always powerful and contain many benefits.
 








No comments:

Post a Comment